Create irrigation zones
Other xeriscape ideas include creating irrigation zones, which hinges on grouping plants by water needs. This xeriscape design principle is a garden practice that actually just makes sense—and also promotes a healthier garden. To create irrigation zones, you have to plan your landscape, which is another core principle of xeriscape design. Whether you’re starting from scratch or renovating existing plantings, careful planning results in the most effective xeriscaped areas.
Irrigation must also focus on efficiency in xeriscape designs. Watering by hand, soaker hoses, bubbler emitters and drip irrigation systems provide efficient water delivery, ensuring water reaches roots. For sprinklers, select ones that deliver larger drops of water closer to the ground. Avoid overhead sprinklers or ones that release a fine mist.
Stones make a wonderful
Using mulch is a key xeriscape idea. Mulch slows water evaporation from soil, moderates soil temperature, helps reduce weeds and gives planting areas a finished look. Choose a mulch that complements your garden style. Stones make a wonderful mulch for a succulent garden design and also fit naturally into Zen rock gardens. Shredded bark is a common mulch choice in English garden design.
Xeriscape design also recites the mantra of right plant, right place. When you match plants to the proper growing conditions, you’ll get the best results with the least amount of effort. It’s also a good idea to amend soil to provide the most ideal footing for plants. What kind of soil amendment you need depends on the type of plants you’ll be growing, as well as the kind of soil you have. Take a soil test to make the best use of your soil amendment budget.
- Colorado Waterwise Home
- Dallas Landscape Design Dallas Xeriscape Design Dallas
- Xeriscape Definition Of Xeriscape By Merriamwebster
- Railroad Tie Xeriscape Garden Stair Ideas
- Xeriscaping Ideas Landscaping Network
- The 20 Best Xeriscape Plants For Colorado Lotlines
- Free Downloadable Xeriscape Designs Plant Select
- Xeriscaping Living Green Institute Of Food And
- Backyard Xeriscape Design Plan Landscaping Ideas And Answers
- Xeriscape Flowers Drought Tolerant Flowers For The Garden
Tags: #Xeriscape Ideas